Eurydice (HMS), shipwreck
HMS Eurydice was a naval training ship which had been on a tour of the West Indies when, on her way back to Spithead, she entered Sandown Bay, off the Isle of Wight, on 24 March 1878.
A sudden snow squall overtook the Eurydice when she was off Dunnose Point, the ship capsized and immediately sank.
Many of the crew would have been caught below deck, others who survived the initial sinking died of exposure in the freezing waters. At the time she sank, HMS Eurydice had over 300 people on-board, only 2 survived.
Bodies were washed ashore along the east coast of the island, those washed ashore in the Shanklin/Sandown area were buried in Shanklin Cemetery or Christ Church churchyard, Sandown, both contain memorials. Others bodies identified as coming from HMS Eurydice were buried near where they came ashore at Bembridge (3), Chale (1), St. Helen's (1), and Whitwell (2) churchyards - these burials were without memorials. Other bodies were recovered during the salvage operation and were buried at Haslar Royal Naval Cemetery.
The hull of the "Eurydice" was later lifted by the Admiralty, first to Bembridge ledge where she was made water tight, she was then moved to Portsmouth Dockyard where she was broken up.
The Shanklin Cemetery memorial does not name those buried there, six were unidentified, the other was identified as just W. Bowen. The memorial was produced by a Mr. F. J. Moynihan of London in Portland stone and was erected by public subscription. It is surmounted by a naval trophy of crossed anchors, broken cable, and a cannon pointing to the spot where the Eurydice foundered. The memorial was unveiled by Lady Isabel Atherley on 23rd June 1880.[1]
TO THE MEMORY OF THE OFFICERS AND MEN OF H.M.S. "EURYDICE" WHICH FOUNDERED OFF SHANKLIN, MARCH 24TH 1878, SEVEN OF WHOM ARE BURIED HERE. (on the opposite face) ERECTED BY PUBLIC SUBSCRIPTIONS AND UNVEILED BY LADY ISABEL ATHERLEY, JUNE 23RD 1880. |
---|
The memorial in Christ Church churchyard was also raised by public subscription, with an Admiralty grant, it is of Portland stone and was executed by Mr. Joseph Ellery of Ryde, Isle of Wight[2].
East side: SACRED TO THE MEMORY OF SEVEN BRAVE SEAMEN OF HER MAJESTY'S NAVY WHO LIE BURIED HERE. AFTER HAVING FIRST FOUND A WATERY GRAVE ON SUNDAY, MARCH 24, 1878 WHEN H.M.S. "EURYDICE" FOUNDERED IN A TERRIFIC SQUALL, OFF SANDOWN BAY. On base of memorial: ERECTED BY SUBSCRIPTION AIDED BY AN ADMIRALTY GRANT. North side: D. HARVEY. BURIED MAY 17. NAME UNKNOWN. - - JUNE 5. J. HOWARD. - - - JULY 6. T. J. SMITH. - - - AUG. 2. W. SHUKER. - - - AUG. 2. H. VEALS. - - - AUG. 12. NAME UNKNOWN - - OCT. 8. South side: THEN THEY CRY UNTO THE LORD IN THEIR TROUBLE, AND HE BRINGETH THEM OUT OF THEIR DISTRESSES. HE MAKETH THE STORM A CALM SO THAT THE WAVES THEREOF ARE STILL. THEN ARE THEY GLAD BECAUSE THEY BE QUIET : SO HE BRINGETH THEM UNTO THEIR DESIRED HAVEN. PSALM CVII 28 -30 West side: “THE SEA GAVE UP THE DEAD WHICH WERE IN IT.” REV XX.13 “THERE WAS NO MORE SEA.” REV XXI.1 |
---|